I recently attended the New Context Conference 2016 organized by Digital Garage on July 5th and July 6th.
The official Web site is: http://ncc.garage.co.jp/en/
It was divided in 2 parts. The first day was about “Blockchain” and the second day about “AI”.
As you may already know, my company, Descartes Search, LLC, has 2 specific recruitment services dedicated specifically to “Blockchain” and “AI”.
The former is named Satoshi’s collar™, the latter Turing’s collar™ .
This was the first time for us to attend the conference but this year’s themes were, I have to say, perfectly matching our fields of expertise
I decided to attend only the second day but I had the opportunity to attend the dinner party on the first day.
My overall impression can be described as follows:
- the level of the talks was quite high
-a lot of people are intrigued by “blockchain” but even after attending the first day they have generally no idea about why they should adopt it over a standard database system
- AI is being deployed to many many industries so it is quite clear it is becoming the next platform as I mentioned here based on what Andy Rubin said at NEST 2016
- Some entrepreneurs believe that the technological singularity is near, some believe it is still very far away
In any case, each speaker’s talk was very interesting.
I would like to share with you the notes I took, as follows:
- Hiroaki Kitano, President & CEO, Director of Research, Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.
- It is impossible to read every scientific paper that is released every day (there are 4100 papers published each day)
- Joshua Lachter, Vice President of Strategic Growth, ASAPP, Inc
- Facebook has 7 trillions pics
- Kazutaka Yonekura, CEO, al+
- One of the mission of our company is to create an AI that can fall in love
- Joi Ito on the differences between the US and Japan
- Japan is very strong at creating cute AI agents that people can get attached to
- the US is very strong at designing AI algos
- The key is to find what context to feed into the computers in order to yield creativity
- The future of AI is in the combination of what machines are good at with what Humans are good at
- Alex “Sandy” Pentland Professor, Director, MIT Media Lab Connection Science and Human Dynamics Labs
- Hedge funds: Humans are still much better than AI
- AI is good at optimization
- Humans are good at managing other people
- The future of AI is in networked intelligence
- Yuki Shimahara, Founder & CEO, LPixel Inc.
- Between 2005 and 2012, the number of images used for medical examination has been multiplied by 1.7
- Japan has the highest number of cancer images in the world
- Organs are becoming industrial products
- The 21st century will be the century of life science
- The combination of AI and life science will yield a new health care industy
- Koichi Nakamura, Founder & CEO, Idein Inc.
- Our company is about designing intelligent sensor devices using pattern recognition and active learning
- We use low-end sensors and low-end embedded computers
- Training requires more time than prediction
- It is possible to do deep learning in embedded devices
- Panel discussion moderated by Hiroaki Kitano
- Go Challenge (Google) is using deep learning, reinforcement learning and Monte Carlo
- In the near future, the combination of active learning and deep learning will increase
- In the near future, there will be an increase of the interaction between Humans and AI (ex: health care industry)
- Japan can be the leader in the field of AI applied to the health care industry
- Ichiro Otobe, Director of Operation & Member of the Board, ZMP Inc.
- “Robot of everything”
- Our secret sauce is in the weightings
- Our autonomous car driving on a normal country road is the first of its kind in the world
- Panel discussion whose moderator is Joi Ito
- Takeshi Fukuda, Director IBM Research, IBM Japan
- We are now in a cognitive era with the rise of cognitive computing and neuromorphic computing
- Motoaki Saito, CEO, PEZY Computing
- “I would like to cause a pre-singularity”
- Not so far away in the future, we will have energy and food for free. Also, we will have access to anti-aging technology and we will not need money any more
- The next generation of AI tech is AI algorithms combined with super computers
- We will have soon 1000 times more powerful AI than now, an AI that will be able to raise assumptions, verify assumptions and create concepts
- We will create soon a super computer that has 100 peta flops
- We will create soon a very powerful AI computing platform with a 1000 times more powerful AI engine and a 1000 times more powerful computing power
- Ryota Kanai, Founder & CEO, ARAYA Brain Imaging
- Our goal is to create consciousness
- Panel discussion moderated by Joi Ito
- “The world is going to be run by algorithms”
- “Some countries are going to have different cultural problems regarding AI”
- “Humans are very good at causing problems”